4 Beds; 3 Baths; 3513 Sq.Ft.
204 N. Center St. Mount Olive, NC 28365
HISTORIC FLOWERS-WOOTEN-HOLMES HOUSE listed on National Registry of Historic Places. This Italianate house designed by noted New Jersey Architect J.S.H. Appleget built in 1885 has been completely renovated/restored. An older cabin dating from the early 1800's, thought to be the oldest structure in Mt. Olive, was used as the kitchen and connects by a breezeway. Located on a prime downtown corner lot, the home is surrounded by lush historic landscaping planted by Mr. Holmes who founded the North Carolina Camellia Society. Flooring includes original heart pine, 1920 recovered tongue-in-groove oak, and 1880's tongue-in-groove oak from the old Northeast FW Baptist Church. New HVAC systems, new electrical, new plumbing, and new roof. 4 bedrooms per National Registry. Professionally measured.
Preservation NC Blurb:
READY FOR OCCUPANCY!
Renovation is complete for this two-story Italianate house designed by noted New Jersey architect G. S. H. Appleget. Built in 1885 it is located on a prime downtown corner lot surrounded by lush, historic landscaping. An older cabin already on the property and dating from the early 1800’s was used as the kitchen connected by a breezeway and is still part of the house today and is itself possibly the oldest structure in Mount Olive. During most of the 20th century, the house was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Peele Holmes. Mr. Holmes founded the North Carolina Camellia Society and created new varieties still growing on the grounds today.
The house features fine details including a bracketed cornice with double drops, original 2-over-2 windows, paneled wainscot, 4 original mantels with metal surrounds, original molded handrails, balustrade with turned balusters, a turned newel post and decorative scroll work. The center hall floor plan features a living room with fireplace, dining room with fireplace, master bedroom with fireplace and private bath, laundry room, half bath, a large kitchen/den/breakfast room and a mud room on the first floor. The upstairs has a spacious hall and three large bedrooms, each with a fireplace. There are two full baths and two half baths, one each upstairs and downstairs. Most of the flooring in the two-story Italianate is original heart pine except for main hallway and master bedroom, which are 1920-era tongue-in-grove oak. The back part of the house is floored with 1880’s era recovered tongue-in-grove oak from the old Northeast FW Baptist church. Work includes:
– Exterior painting complete.
– All interior painting complete
– All floors sanded and refinished
– Completely new electrical wiring though out
– New upstairs and downstairs heating and a/c units and ducting
– 95% new plumbing (original fixtures retained where possible)
– Original: wood paneling and molding, staircase, newel post, balustrade with balusters, fireplaces, mantels, wood floors, doors, windows, etc. have been retained everywhere possible and refinished. Missing or broken elements replaced in kind
– Rotted or damaged structural members and siding have been replaced.
– New roofing (replaced shingles with shingles)
– The fireplaces are not safe for use and are NOT being repaired in the current rehab effort.